How To Get The Peloton Experience Without Breaking The Bank?
My sister wanted a Peloton bike after using the bike at her friend's condo building. She looked up information on the Peloton program and was shocked by the price of the bike along with the monthly subscription to take the classes.
Peloton on a budget
- Buy a regular spin bike and just buy the Peloton class subscription. My sister has a spin bike she had for years. She decided to buy the Peloton class subscription and used her iPad and attached the iPad using an iPad holder to her bike. The subscription cost was $19.99 a month.
- In the classes, they tell you what speed or rpm's you should be biking during the session. My sister didn't need a cadence sensor because her bike came with an electronic panel that shows speed, RPM, and etc. If you need a cadence sensor check out Polar's Speed and Cadence Sensor Bluetooth Smart Set.
I'm not a big believer in expensive fitness trends because I have seen fitness trends come and go, you guys remember Tae Bo right? If you have the money and you want to buy the Peloton bike and subscription then, by all means, go ahead, however, if you want an excellent cycling workout you can get one for free via YouTube.
YouTube Cycling Videos
The Global Cycling Network team is a group of British elite cyclists that have their workouts on YouTube. They offer interviews with elite cyclists, bike maintenance, tech news and workouts and more. Their workouts are awesome and all you will need is a stationary bike. In some of the videos they do stand up on the bike, even though I remain seated, you may want a spin bike. When I bike with GCN, I use my Diamondback stationary bike and trust me, the workouts are tough.
Peloton Bike Alternative
If you want a spin bike, there are plenty of used spin bikes or even new ones that cost less than $600. Since GCN workouts use the cadence system, you will need a cadence meter if you don't have it on your bike. Check out the following spin bikes that will get the work done without a $2000 price tag:
- Schwinn IC3 Indoor Cycling Bike
- Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B1002 Indoor Cycle Bike
- Nautilus U616 Upright Stationary bike
- For tall people Sunny Health & Fitness Pro Indoor Cycling Bike
These are my recommendations if you want a Peloton workout or want a Peloton like work out without spending a lot of money. As I said above, I am not a big believer in spending a lot of money on something that might be gone in a few years.
Do you have a Peloton bike? Have you ever done workouts by Global Cycling Network?