There is nothing like eating food grown from your own garden. Yesterday, I made a kale salad with kale and tomatoes from my vegetable garden. I can't think of anything more organic, nutritious and frugal at the same time. Do you have or will have a vegetable garden this year?
What are the benefits in growing your own food?
- Growing your own vegetables helps to supplement foods purchased at the store so you save money.
- You know what has been added to or on your vegetables, for example any pesticides.
- Growing a garden requires a lot of digging, planting weeding and etc, so that means you will be getting in some exercise.
- Having a garden can help to reduce stress and also can give you the satisfaction of seeing something so small as a seedling, grow into food that can help to feed your loved ones.
- Eating fresh fruits and vegetable can lead to a healthier lifestyle
- Working the garden with young people can teach them the value of the earth, allow them to see where their food comes from, and to show them how difficult or easy it is growing your own food can be.
Two of the dishes I have made this season and there will be more pictures to come this summer and fall.
|Kale, bell peppers, tomatoes and pecans salad|