I found out some interesting facts about both romaine lettuce and kale. See how well you know these delectable greens.
1. Which green has more calories per cup (240ml)?
2. Does romaine lettuce or is it kale that has more protein per serving?
3. Which green has more vitamin A and vitamin C per serving?
4. Do any of these greens have any calcium?
5. Which green would be better for a low carb diet?
6. Do these greens contain any cholesterol?
1. Kale has 33 calories per cup and romaine lettuce has 8 calories per cup.
2. Kale has more protein per serving 2.9 grams and .6 grams for romaine lettuce.
3. Both have high amounts of vitamin A and C but Kale has the highest with 6693 IU of vitamin A and 80.4 mg of vitamin C. Romaine lettuce has 4094 IU of vitamin A and 1.9 mg of vitamin C.
4. Both greens have calcium as well as potassium.
5. Romaine lettuce would be better for a low carb diet because has 1.6 grams of carbohydrates per serving, however both would be great for a low carb diet. Kale has 6 grams a serving.
6. No cholesterol because cholesterol is a lipid like substance which is found mainly in animals.
How did you do? As you can see, most greens are good for you but if you have a low functioning thyroid, make sure you cook most of your vegetables and eat them raw in moderation.
Test your vegetable and fruit knowledge take some more nutritional tests:
Orange versus the grapefruit
Kale versus collard greens
Recipe by Cooking Light
Grilled Romaine with Creamy Herb Dressing