I just calculated this up. A meal for two adults at McDonald's would cost about $5.50 per person and the kid's meal would be $3.75 each, with a grand total spent about $18.75 sans tax. Why don't you make the following meal which comes out to $1.91 per person? It is much healthier for you and your family and all it takes is a little planning. I made this 3 weeks ago, and it was finger licking good. Serve with cold slaw or your favorite vegetable.
Maple-Mustard Chicken Thighs
- 1/3 cup spicy brown mustard $
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard $
- 1 tablespoon grated onion $
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lower-sodium soy sauce $
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper $
- 1 garlic clove, minced $
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cooking spray
- 1. Combine first 9 ingredients. Place half of mixture in a zip-top plastic bag; reserve remaining mixture. Add chicken to bag; seal. Chill 2 hours.
- 2. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 3. Remove chicken from bag. Sprinkle chicken with salt. Place chicken on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes on each side or until done. Serve with reserved mustard mixture.
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross